Welcome to your one stop spot where you can find everything you need related to your yoga practice and your general wellness.

Wednesday 30 March 2011

Scamming you or Saving you?


Gizmos, gadgets and all kinds of accessories are coming up for yogis. Which will work for you and which are a huge waste of money? In this post, I'll give you my own personal opinion as well what what the pros are saying.

Please note that if you are about to try Bikram Hot Yoga, no props/accessories are permitted in class.

*YOGA STRAPS*:  Have you ever been at your local yoga studio's shop and noticed some stuff on the shelf that you had no idea what they were? I have. Before I began my practice, I had no idea what the heck a yoga strap was. I imagined it could be a strap to tie up my mat? I was in one of my first Moksha Yoga classes where I saw it put to use first hand. Straps/Belts are used for bound postures where, for example, your arms cannot reach each other or your hands cannot reach your feet. Over time, your flexibility will only improve and you can ditch the strap. Scam or save? Definitely save. The average price you should be spending on a strap - $11.00 each.

*YOGA BLOCKS*:  The purpose of blocks are to help with your body's alignment. They can also make you feel more comfortable in certain postures. Basically, the strap as well as the block are there to aid your practice. Blocks are amazing for any standing pose in which one hand is on the floor (Ardha Chandrasana), any backward bend (the block goes under your back), sitting poses (such as Virasana) and many others. Blocks are usually made with cork, so the material isn't too tough on your body. Scam or save? This accessory will save you in the yoga room. The average price you should be spending on a block - $10.00 each.



*WRISTS*: I've never actually tried Yoga Wrists, but have heard and read only negative reviews. Ok, so what the heck is a yoga wrist? They're basically designed to elevate the heel part of your hand. Why? To decrease the degree of extension and provide you with more comfort with less strain. Check this customer review:
"1.0 out of 5 stars HURTS WORSE THAN IT HELPS!
I was so pumped about these and then I got them and they were too big and hard for my hands. So after one painful yoga class, I cut them in half to better fit the size of my hands. And I have large hands for a girl, but it still hurt pretty bad. I even let the Yoga Instructor try them out and she said that it hurt worse too.
It's not the worst thing you could imagine, but I can't imagine you would ever use it.
It's only $20 down the drain so I'm not too worried about it, just wouldn't waste your time or money on this product--although the stupid youtube videos make it look so wonderful! HAHA"

Scam or save? I think the answer is pretty clear! Overall ripoff price: $20.00 per pair

No comments: